Saturday, April 27, 2013

"Sael" Update!....and the new Tennessee Walker.

"Sael" is almost complete!!

I LOVE  HIM!!!
He's going to be so awesome when he's done.
I've got him in his first rough priming layer and in the final stages of the tweaking. What I normally do is I do the sculpting, then sand him down and steel wool buff him as much as I can,  then prime him so he's all one color. Then I can see what's off and what needs to be filled in. The flaws that better show up when you don't have all the different colors of the apoxie, and the original Breyer showing through playing tricks on your eyes.   Priming it all one color shows the little flaws that stick out better. Then when I've pin-pointed those, I resculpt some areas more and do the fine tuning so to speak.  Then I buff him down with the fine grade steel wool again, and use the buffer attachement on my dremel.  Then after he's smooth enough, I will reprime him one last time for a finishing clean up layer, then he's ready for paint. Finally I get to paint him.  After all this work and all this time on him, "Sael"  is nearly ready for paint..  This has got to be the most unrecognizable Breyer Totilas ever!  LOL  So far as I've seen anyway.







Now, the new Tennessee Walker is finally done in the sculpting phase.  Now after he dries, it'll be on to sanding down the bumps and lumps, then buffing, priming, rechecking the flaws, priming a final time and he's off to be painted. It's funny.  They look so wonky sometimes without the primer.  You can't see certain things , Like the bottom of his tail.  I used "Sael's" Totilas tail on this one. Half the tail is sculpted and half is another Breyer but you can't see it very well. He'll look alot better once he's sanded and evened out and primed.



Edited to say, I completely forgot to add this update. 
"Cupid" the Cigar Breyer Caribou is finally getting some antlers, ....I hope. LOL  He's been in the customizing stages since Christmas of 2012.  His other antler isn't quite finished yet. He's got this one held in temporarily with a piece of paper towel. I'm debating on how I should have him done. With detachable antlers? I don't know if he would survive shipping like this.  I think I need to figure out a way to sculpt the antlers to look complete, then have them slip down into perfectly fitted holes in the head, and have his new owner attatch them with some glue or apoxie of their own. As long as they are glueable, then they can be shipped seperate from the Caribou. I just don't think any amount of packing would guarentee his horns don't get broken, but we'll have to see.


No comments:

Post a Comment