Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Still trying to get the hang of this blog program.  I haven't used anything like this before so I don't know.  I have my own website so I never really needed to use a blog.  I got to message forums sometimes, but I rarely post anything on my own type of forum.  I'm usualy the kind of person that only feels the need to post on a forum if I'm ticked off and want a place to vent about something, so the downfall to that is usually people assume I'm just a negative angry person when I'm really not.  I just never have the need or desire to post when I'm happy.  lol 

But on to some work in progress.  I would have posted this stuff in a section of my own website but it's a real pain in the ass updating the site.  Not that I'm complaining about my web provider, God no.  I love them to death.  Them's good people.  I just hate that it takes so long to upload all the photos and pages and waiting for the cpanel to reload.  You can only do like 12 files at a time and it takes several minutes of the computer freezing til it's ready to select more files.  So I don't have a very quick website to update.  Hence why I don't update that often.
But without further adue (or however you spell that)

Here are some in progress photos of some stuff I'm working on right now.  I will try to take new shots of each one every night I finish working on them just to document the progress.
 This is a Cigar model I'm really excited about.  I've been working on him since Christmas.  My brother told me, "Don't do that til next Xmas.  It wont sell now. There's no market for it."  I was so antsy about the idea of doing it, I just couldn't wait. I ocasionally get really psyched about an idea and just can't wait to get started.
Here he is.  A Caribou "Reindeer" out of the Breyer Cigar model. As you can see there's very little left of Cigar.

 I've been working forever on the antlers.  I finally wound up using the original main branch of the Breyer Elk antlers I had after scrapping two homemade sets for having the angle off. Recycling is what it's all about right? lol  I don't know why the hind left foot looks like it's twisted a little in the picture.  It doesn't look like that in real life.  I think it was the angle of the shot a little bit. Since it's going to be literally closer to Valentine's Day before he's completed. (sigh) I've decided to name this one "Cupid". I had an idea I wanted to do a series (I'm always doing series' of weird model collections) of all Santa's reindeer, and use different Breyer's for them.  I'm seriously thinking about still doing that.  Just like with the Nightmare Horses I do, just do maybe one or two of these a year til I get all eight done.  Sucks that they all wont ever be together though but. Oh well. Cupid.  He's going to have an acrylic rod down his middle to get him to stand.  There's little else I can do with him. 

Next is a TWH foal I'm doing.

I used the paint foal that came with the lady phase set. (I think) It's the standing stock horse foal Breyer model. Or was anyway.  I'm still working on him.
Next, and this is exciting.  Breyer released a new mold and as I've said before in my opinon the ears suck.  It's the new Marwari model.  The ears on mine and at least three other people I know now who've bought them said their's were smushed down.  The eartips are supposed to be curled for the Marwari breed but my model and now three other people told me their's were like this too.  The ears weren't molded to a curl.  They were instead mushed down and literally dented to just resemble a curled ear from afar.  Well, I decided that mine isn't going to be a Marwari anymore.  It's now a Akhal Teke stallion.  An angry Akhal Teke stallion.



He's not really foaming at the mouth. He actually has an open mouth now with a little bit of his front teeth showing and his tongue also in there a bit. So I'm at a point now where I don't know if he should have his neck lengthened.  He looks very Teke now, but I don't know if he should have an even longer neck. I have to shape the muscles in his newly bent front leg to match the other side, and get some more joint work done.  He needs a mane.
There are a couple of pix of Tekes rearing that show the neck really isn't all that long, but the body will have to be a little longer however when you do something to a model, sometimes it's not right.  Like if a model is in the exact proportions to a real horse it may look ok on the real horse but something just wont look right on the model.  There's a term for it.  It basically means that sometimes models or figures of something can get away with slightly dramatized features where it wouldn't look correct in real life but on the model it does..  Anyway, In lamens' terms, if I lengthen this thing's body, it may be correct for the breed but look wonky as hell on the model. I'm measuring and eyeballing these pictures and the size of the barrel from front to back under the belly and on top of the back looks actually pretty spot on to the model.  About as much distance between the hind legs and front legs on the bottom and top of the back. So I think it really actually does look close enough.  And we all know that each horse's conformation varies with age, gender, and bloodline.  So hopefully mine will be a pretty "OK" Teke. He's going to be metallic creamello.  (I think)




The white colorless area where I made him thinner is playing tricks on my eyes too.

Next, I'm working on a cantering thoroughbred mare out of the Lonesome Glory mold. I'm stuck on this one.  I'm in the hacking phase right now and I don't know if I like the canter pose.  It looks awfully stiff to me.  I don't know whether her front straight leg is still too long or what.  I know what I want and for some reason can't get this mare to do it.


I know the neck needs to be longer with more of a lowered slope to it.  That I got.  But the hind legs look like they're too stiff of a motion.  I was going for this pose.


That back hind leg isn't corroperating for some reason.  I've lengthened it to death. I see the hind leg in the far back needs to be foot on the ground and not really turned out but it's not looking right. If i bend her other hind leg anymore she wants to fall over and go lop-sided. I think (and I'm dreading this)  is that it looks like I'm going to have to shorten her bent hind leg because as you can see it looks like it's literally longer from the fetlock joint to the hock joint on that leg than the other back leg is. The shank is longer on that leg. And I hate cutting off a leg and reattching it. Makes the cm weaker sometimes. (horff)  I was still debating on whether to take her out of that pose and trying for this more.


Turn her front legs both out and straighten her a little more.  I think that may give her some life and not make her look so Barbie Prancer horse stiff in that freeze frame pose.  Almost like the Breyer running stallion.  God what to do with that one.  I have one of those sitting downstairs and have no clue what to do with it. 
Anyway, Next,
This... I'm exstatic about.  I'm doing a single-footed horse out of the Peter stone saddlebred. The traditional one.
He's coming along wonderfully.
So far.


The one I'm modeling him after is the horse in the 96 Breeds of the world  horse book, or something to that effect.

I need to shape his topline and his throat a lot more but he's coming along. I'm still filling in joints too. And last but not least. Well no there's also a Belgian foal I'm working on.  Well anyway, I found this Breyer pig with a broken ear on my back porch, (storage) and had the craziest idea.  I took a picture of a pot bellied pig off google and out of the raw apoxie (a ton of it) I'm making this thing.  I crack up laughing every time I look at him/her.


I'm nowhere near finished with it. I need to turn that nose a up a bit but looking at some other pictures of pot bellies, their noses don't turn up so much so I may just use this as a loose inspiration and see where it takes me. until later.....

No comments:

Post a Comment